Friday, April 3, 2009

Yankee Doodle, Keep it up...


Does everyone know the story about the origin of the term Yankee Doodle? It was a derogatory term used by the British to designate the country bumpkin colonials.

Another common term of the time was 'macaroni' - which basically meant 'high class' - supposedly the average American was such a dolt he thought a feather in his cap was the height of fashion.

Of course, the Amercan militia turned it around and adopted it like a badge of honor!

That's why I called this blog the Hack Writers' Guild. A literary hack is generally assumed to be unskilled and cheap - a 'mediocre and disdained writer'. Not necessarily!

I got obliquely referred to as a hack a while back, and decided sure, what the heck. I don't mind being called a hack! It's my macaroni.

3 comments:

  1. Didn't they call Edger Allen Poe a hack? Sticks and stones, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I didn't know about the macaroni thing...hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete